Friday 24 January 2014

UCAS and other Nightmares

Oh UCAS how I hate Thee

How I set out to tackle UCAS and associates

 Lets be honest, anyone applying to Uni dreads the dreaded UCAS application process because its long, sometimes complicated and requires you to show you are truly brilliant and amazing and wonderful and perfect for this course so pick me, pick me, PICK ME!!!!

 I HATED it! As a mature independent student I had no help, had to sort my own (trustworthy) references out and try and locate all my past GCSE certificates and other qualifications. Parts of my personal statement on the other hand I really enjoyed doing. It gave me the opportunity to express what nursing meant to me. 

  Just before I started my Personal Statement my Auntie passed away from a long and painful chain of cancers that reduced her to not even half the women she had been. I was there the night she died and met what I refer to as her 'Knight Nurse' who came to her house and sat awake watching over her all night. This nurse was covered in tattoos, she had half her head shaved and the rest of it was a light blue colour. None of this mattered because when I looked at her I saw strength, compassion, knowledge and understanding. I TRUSTED this nurse to look after my Auntie. And that she did, she was there with her as she passed in her sleep and comforted those left behind after. She was amazing and I am so thankful to her.

 This is the experience that I based my personal statement on, of course I included my experience with special needs children and my work as a community carer and teaching assistant. But you have to remeber that this is your PERSONAL statement. You need to show not only that you understand what nursing involves (*tip* go onto NHS Jobs and look up job descriptions for nurses, these are great if you are unsure of what nursing really entails) but that you care for what nursing is.

 Once I had completed my application then the dreaded wait begun. I received letters from my chosen Uni's confirming that they had received my application and were processing it but other than that I heard nothing until about a month after.

 I'd been rejected from my first choice.

 I want to say this now: DONT WORRY!! These things happen for a reason and now I look back I am very grateful this happened!

 Another month and I got an interview! Then another!

So begun my prep for the Interview process.... feelings of nervous/excitedness took place in my veins instead of blood.... but thats for my next post ;D

 In the mean time check out a website called The Student Room, this was truely a life line to me throughout!

See you soon,

Kimbers

Ucas-logo-007.jpg (460×276)


No comments:

Post a Comment