Friday 24 January 2014

Starting Uni *WooHoo*

Thus it Begins...

The first few weeks of Uniness

 Ok, so I packed my bags and ran off to Uni: time of new beginnings, maturation, fun times and self discovery........

 So at my uni the first couple of weeks are mainly introduction lectures (aka FRESHERS!!!), they say its not, but really its almost standard to turn up hanging from the night before. Take advantage of this now because once the course properly starts they are likey to skin you alive before they let you sit in on the lectures (and as you now know, to get your Bursary you need to keep up your attendance!).

 For the first few weeks I studied 2 modules: Introduction to Life Sciences and Theories of Nursing. These are pretty standard to most nursing courses and they break you in nicely to how uni life works. 

 By now you will have a fairly good idea that a Nursing degree is tough, I once heard it was like doing a degree and working full time. I'm not sure about that but it is by no means a course to be ventured into lightly and does require you to embrace it 100%, otherwise you will struggle and have a crap time! I was in 2 half days and 2 full days every week until I went on placement, I also had workbooks and reading to do when I was not in uni. I studied nursing numeracy (I will go into more depth about this in another post) and clinical skills labs on my half days. Clinical skill labs are great for you to gain a better understanding on the runnings of a ward. You will cover things such as: manual handling, taking observations, infection control, eating and drinking, injection techniques, washing and changing and basic life support.

 You get to wear your (oh so shexy!!) uniforms and act and feel all nursey!! This is when it really hits home what you've let yourself in for as actually practising nursing skills allows you to visualise yourself as a nurse and just a few of the responsibilities it comes with!

 So the first few weeks really are all about settling in and finding your feet. Make sure you explore outside of uni as well so you can appreciate what else your city has to offer and enjoy it to the max!!

 Until I see you again, have fun :D

Kimbers xXx

balloons-beach-beauty-freedom-happiness-Favim.com-268585.jpg (400×300)




No comments:

Post a Comment