Friday 24 January 2014

Interview: DunDunDAAAAAAAA!!

It's ok, they don't bite.....

My Interview Experiences:

 I remember the time that I opened my letter from one of my choice Uni's that informed me I had gotten through the first stage and had a set date for an Interview. I jumped around like a mad hatter whooping,  calling my Mum and boyfriend and friends and work collegues and everybody else who I had ever met EVER!! This lasted about 10 minutes until a little voice inside my head said 'Oh my freaking god this means I actually have to talk to REAL people and their going to ask me QUESTIONS about nursing....ARGH!!!!', thus begun the well known 'nervous/excited' feeling that remained with me until I had completed both my interviews.

 I will say it now to all those who have got this far and are contending with the 'nervous/excited' emotions that worm they way into your head whenever your not thinking of food..'Relax, its really ok'.

 Did that help?

 Didn't think so!

Because no matter what anybody says (including those who have been through the process before) it will not calm you down because YOU haven't done it before and it is a complete unknown. So instead of telling you not to worry (because I know you wont listen to me!) I am going to give you some advice:

  • Research common nursing questions- just google it! The main ones tend to be 'why do you want to be a nurse?', 'why your chosen branch?', 'what qualities do you have that you think contribute to nursing?', 'what experience do you have that is related to nursing?','can you talk about a NHS issue that has been in the media recently?', 'what is client centred care?', 'what would you do in [insert situation here]?'. These are just a few, think about your answers and make bullet points. DON'T write down exactly what you would say as it will sound scripted when it comes to it!
  • Practice- with parents, friends, partners, teachers and random people so you will know what its like to talk to unknown people about something that means alot to you.
  • Plan your route- so that on the day you know where your going and arrive in good time, this will help to relax you as you don't have to worry about getting lost and getting there late.
  • Take someone with you- for moral support, I found my Mum was great in this situation, but it can be whoever you like as long as they keep your spirits up!
  • Be sociable- when you get there be seen to talk to other people, if your stuck for conversation just begin with 'is this your first interview?' and it will lead on from there. Everyone there will be wanting to make a good impression so should be enthusiastic when met with conversation. Try to sit with a couple of people, sitting on your own will make you feel awkward. Equally don't be too loud as this will give the completley wrong impression!
  • Smile!!- I did this alot! You want to be a nurse, you have been given the oppertunity to show that you do, you are there because the interviewers saw something in your personal statement that said to them 'this person will make a good nurse', that sure is something to smile and feel proud about :)
  • Remember to bring everything with you and make photocopies- some of the people I had my interviews with forgot their GCSE certificates and photocopies, this doesn't look good! Show them that you read the letter/email properly and are organised enough to bring everything they have asked for (even if in real life your actually an air head that looses EVERYTHING- speaking of myself here!!)
 I never did a group interview, but my advice would be: don't be too loud or too quiet, contribute and listen to others point of view, if someone isn't contributing much be seen to try and get them involved, don't create an argument if you don't agree with something somebody else is saying.

 I did individual interviews where it was me and 2 people from the Uni (normally nurses or lecturers). I found them to be friendly (honest) and very patient. If I couldn't answer one of the questions because I had a mind blank then I asked them if I could come back to it once I had had a thought on it. I was myself and spoke openly about how I felt about nurses (that you get good and bad) and gave them examples of this. I spoke about previous experience and how this had influenced me. 

 Remember that these people are not dragons, they are not there to catch you out or judge you, they understand that you are nervous and that can reflect on your performance. Above all they are interested in you and want to know more about you, this is a compliment :)

 Good Luck if you have got to this stage, you will not believe how silly you feel after you've had your interview and realise that you got yourself into a right old tizz for no reason!

Kimbers xXx

nervous-man.jpg (500×358)

No comments:

Post a Comment